Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Wonders of physiology

This evening I took my second bike ride since breaking my right ankle. The first ride was on the mountain bike. Big fat tires, full suspension and a relatively upright riding position. Today I ventured out and took the same route, but this time on the road bike. Rigid steel frame, skinny tires pumped up to 100psi and a much more aggressive riding position.

The ride went surprising well, but had one unexpected curiosity. My ankle is still swollen. It is noticeably larger than its counterpart on the end of my left leg. On the ride today every time I hit the transition to cross a street and with every seam in the trail, I could feel whatever biological "stuff" that is IN my swollen ankle jiggling around like a bowl of jello. It didn't hurt, but the sensation was mildly disturbing. Part of my brain kept repeating "That's not right" every time it happened. Before heading out today, I had entertained the idea of hitting an off road trail sooner that the doctor recommended. After feeling the mini tsunamis in the fluid of my ankle, I think I will heed his advice.

No comments: